Just as sugar is converted to glucose in our bodies, fat is converted to ketones by the liver. When blood sugar drops and the body has burned up its stored glucose, our bodies convert fat into ketones.
There are many health benefits to ketones, provided the body doesn’t go into ketoacidosis. This occurs when a person is unable to produce insulin—such as in the case of diabetics—and the body creates way too many ketones. This, however, only typically occurs in the cases of diabetics who are untreated.
Ketones can, in fact, have considerable health benefits. Here are 10 ways they can improve your health.
- Ketones help reduce hunger. This is very beneficial for weight loss.
- Ketones lessen cravings. When cravings are curbed, meals and snacks tend to be wholesome foods that add power to your day.
- Ketones increase energy. Who couldn’t use a whole lot more of that? Ketones are responsible for developing a higher oxygen capacity, as well as better athleticism and motor performance.
- They are noted for improving moods. People who fear they are on the verge of depression have found ketones vastly improved the way they felt.
- Ketones help with better focus and sharper mental clarity. If you’ve felt like you’re not quite with it or can’t complete the tasks at hand, this will be a welcome and significant change. People with seizure disorders, Alzheimer’s disease and even ADHD have experienced vast improvements.
- Ketones improve body composition. Loss of fat leads to a leaner physique.
- Ketones help are known to prevent autoimmune diseases. In people who already have autoimmune diseases—like Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus—they are known for healing them and putting the disease into remission.
- Ketones improve the skin. Not only do they make it softer and more supple, it also both prevents and cures many skin disorders including eczema, psoriasis, acne and common rashes.
- The presence of ketones can alleviate many forms of chronic pain. Arthritis pain is often lessened as is the occurrence of migraines.
- Instances of developing heart disease and cancer are lessened with ketones. Not only are the risks decreased, but those with these diseases have noted quicker and more complete recoveries.
In order to get ketones, you must get your body into ketosis. This occurs when eating a ketogenic diet. This isn’t always an easy task, since our bodies are used to burning sugar. The process will throw your body into a major change. Going from burning sugar to burning fat is an enormous contrast.
Most people begin by seriously limiting their intake of carbohydrates. This leaves only fat and proteins for the body to burn. Since you don’t want your body burning proteins, it’s important to considerably up your protein intake. Eating healthy fats, like avocado and olive oil will help you reach ketosis even faster.
It’s true that reaching ketosis requires planning and diligence. Those ten benefits listed here, however, will certainly make it worth your efforts.